Tuesday, September 7, 2010

NO OTHER GODS

Tonight started the beginning of the first Bible study of the season NO OTHER GODS by Kelly Minter. It will run 8 weeks. We had 20 ladies meet tonight at my house and after a great meal and a ton of conversation and getting acquainted, we settled down in three different small groups to discuss the first week.

I believe this week really challenged us about what we put before God and our devotion to Him. It's not always the obvious. Sometimes it is even the 'good thing'. We can get so involved in even our good deeds, and places and people we minister to on a daily basis and neglect to talk to God, listen for His voice, give Him glory and praise.

Where is your heart's devotion? One of the main points Kelly made was how we can make things, places, careers, ministries, or people our idols. Another term would be false gods, but the one she used that made it so clear to me was "functional gods". In that place that you function everyday, do you find yourself focusing your attention more than any other area of your life? Is it spiritually healthy? Is God a big part of it or have you forgotten to include Him in the process?
.
Nothing should ever detour our attention away from Him. Not even our ministry.

If you are involved in this study, please take a few moments and comment here and share something that has spoken to your heart from the daily studies. Your insight may just be what someone needs. We would love to hear what the Holy Spirit is revealing to you.

Keep your heart open...

DeLana

3 comments:

  1. For the past few days, a song has been stuck in my head, which is "Hopelessly Devoted To You" by Olivia Newton-John. While I understand that there is a healthy sort of devotion to, say, your husband and your children, I have to ask myself if I am so hopelessly devoted to someone or something that I lose sight of my devotion to God. My utmost devotion should be towards Him - this I know! - but sometimes (sigh), we don't always do the things we should do. The good news is that there is never a hopeless situation with my God! He can help me work through any functional idol(s) I may have - and He is! I don't want to be hopelessly devoted to anyone or anything; I want to be honestly devoted to my Lord and Savior! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i just did week 2 day 3 this morning and what stuck me was how God closed Hannahs womb.

    how many times has God closed our "wombs"? whether it be physical, spiritual, financial, relational......so on and so forth.

    just wanted to share and get y'all to thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete